Thursday, 14 November 2013

Engagement Task 2 - Wikis, Blogs and Weeblys


The engagement activity this week involved exploring blogs, wikis and websites. While playing around with these different on line tools we were asked to consider SAMR Model and think about how effective these various types of technology impacted on teaching and learning.

The mentioned sites all link to at least one aspect of the SAMR Model. I found that wiki’s and blogs – if used as a way to answer questions and reflect link in with the substitute (S) and augmentation (A) area as these are still task learners can perform with or without technology – it just makes it more exciting than pencil and paper.  That being said I also believe a blog applies to modification (M) enhancing common classroom tasks, as students to add various tools to their blogs. A website is an indication of modification (M) and redefinition (R). Not only can it be used to boost learning, websites are great for student centred learning.

Wiki’s are a fantastic resource to be used within the classroom to create a collaborative learning environment. This site is user pretty friendly and easy to navigate, if you are not trying to make anything too fancy. For a novice like myself, I found it can become a little complicated when you want to add different things such as slide shows with the different HTML coding. It is a great site for users to share written ideas amongst one another.  However to use this in a classroom as a student centred activity would be quite difficult as it appears the site isn’t really developed for this purpose. It should be used for teacher guided activities along with appropriate scaffolding.

Click on the link below to take you to my Wiki site, which I have had a play around on.

I am a big fan of the website Weebly. Having never used it before my experience at university, it seemed a little complicated to use at first. After playing around for 5 minutes or so I had enough figured out to create a successful site. I have used Weebly for a number of assessment tasks over the past 2 years and find that the layout and the simple click and drag options for text, images, documents and YouTube clips make for easy functionality. This site is a great resource for learning managers to use to create student centred activities in which the Weebly can be used to explore various content knowledge. It caters for a large range of primary learners, and students as young as year 3 can navigate a created site themselves, while offering the challenge to those students in the upper primary year 6 and 7 of creating their own Weebly’s for assessment. It can also be used as a teacher guided site for those students in the lower primary from prep to year 2. The only downside to this site I have discovered at the moment is the fact that if you’d like extra features such as audio or you want to upload your own clips it comes at a cost.

I have inserted a link with an example of a Weebly I created to teach people about the Sacrament of Marriage. Please take your time to explore my site.

Blogs…where do I start. Before engaging in E-Learning I had very little to do with blogs occasionally have a sneak peak at one or two thanks to something intriguing as seen on social media. So the concept of not only creating and using a blog was very overwhelming especially after having so much difficulty trying to figure out how to get onto the blogger site. After spending quite some time having a play around, I have discovered it is nowhere near as stressful as I first thought, even if there are a few tasks I am still trying to figure out. Practice makes perfect! A blog is a fantastic way to share your thoughts and ideas with the online world. People can engagement with the information and leave comments. It would be great to use within the classroom and have students individually blog about their weekly experiences - what they have learnt about, anything they found interesting and or difficult. This site could be used as a reflective tool for the students each week.

I’d like to share below with you in particular one blog that I have so recently become very interested in – this by no means has anything to do with my love of the Carlton AFL club or Chris Judd!

2 comments:

  1. Sacrement of marriage in one section, and Carlton AFL and Chris Judd in another.... ??? LOL LOL Is that wishful thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eliza....THANKS for getting me way off track!! Just spent the best part of an hour checking out Rebecca Judd...LOL

    ReplyDelete